The Westlake Youth Forum III is sponsored by China Medical Board and organized by Sichuan University to promote junior scholars' training in health policy and systems sciences and career development. CHPAMS sent seven overseas members to participate in the Forum. Drs. Lincoln Chen, Hai Yu, and Gordon Liu were recognized for their significant contributions and continuous support for CHPAMS, and mentoring of junior scholars in public health and health policy. CHPAMS hosted a membership reunion on June 21, 2016.
For over 8 years, the China Health Policy and Management Society (CHPAMS) has provided opportunities for public health scholars to exchange their insights, discuss challenges, and develop solutions to help improve the health of 1.4 billion population in China. Considered the most important public events since the organization’s founding, the 1st CHPAMS conference was successfully held at Emory Rollins School of Public Health (Atlanta, GA) from May 13-15, 2016.
The three-day conference provided ample learning opportunities for participants. Those attendees represented elite institutions including such as the U.S. Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC), Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health, Yale University, American Cancer Society, and IBM Watson. Keynote speaker Dr. Jeffrey Koplan is a CHPAMS Advisor and Vice President for Global Health at Emory University, and formerly served as Director of U.S. CDC. His presentation addressed various elements that could be targeted to improve the health status in China, particularly in rural areas. Dr. Koplan have received the Chinese government’s Friendship Award for his long-term support to the organization and his influential contributions to public health policies in China.
Members actively participated in sessions on scientific research, career development, academic publication, and team building events. With attending members' open vote, Dr. Xi Chen from
Yale University won the best abstract award and five students received travel awards.
CHPAMS participated in the opening ceremony of Sun Yat-Sen Global Health Institute (SGHI) at the Sun Yat-Sen University (SYSU) in China on December 18, 2015. Many CHPAMS advisors, board directors, and members played important roles in the establishment of SGHI. CHPAMS Treasurer Roman Xu is the Executive Deputy Director for the new SGHI. CHPAMS President Dr. Qi (Harry) Zhang, along with several CHPAMS Advisors (Drs. YU Hai, Winnie Yip, Gordon Liu) participated in expert panel discussion or gave keynote speeches on global health, building partnership with government and academic institution etc.
Best wishes for the new global health center SGHI!
CHPAMS hosted a reception for attending members with a great reunion at American Public Health Association 2015 Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL on October 31-November 4, 2015
In summer 2015, CHPAMS initiated a career development webinar series, “Jump-start Your Career”, to bridge academic institutes in China and public health professionals all over the globe via online conference platform. It provides a convenient and efficient communication platform for both hiring institutes and potential job seekers beyond geographical boundaries.
In general, a typical webinar event lasts for two hours and contains information sessions for two institutes, each including presentations and Q&As. The presentations given by institute leaders cover a variety of topics, such as general introduction about the schools, hiring plan and criteria, and employment and development plans. The school leadership’s participation in the event demonstrates great support and sincerity towards talent recruitment and global cooperation. In addition, current young faculties who recently relocated back to China can share their experiences with the webinar participants. The Q&A at the end of each session enables direct communication to further the discussion.
This series has successfully launched two events for four top universities in China. For the kickoff event on May 11th, 2015, the recruiting organizations and speakers included:
Shandong University, School of Medicine and Health Management & Center for Health Management and Policy
· Qiang SUN, Professor & Deputy Dean, School of Medicine and Health Management; Executive Director, Center for Health Management and Policy
· Yongping WANG, Party Secretary, School of Medicine and Health Management
· Jian WANG, Associate Professor, Social Medicine and Health Management
· Xiaojie SUN, Associate Professor; Assistant Director, Center for Health Management and Policy
· Qingyue MENG, Professor, Dean, School of Public Health; Executive Director, PKU China Center for Health Development Studies
· Xiaoyun LIU, Associate Professor, PKU China Center for Health Development Studies
· Weiming ZHU, Lecturer, PKU China Center for Health Development Studies
The second webinar was held on June 30, 2015, featuring the following universities and speakers:
· Shankuan ZHU, Associate Dean and Professor, Founding Director of Chronic Disease Institute, School of Public Health
· Hai YU, Professor, Center for Health Policy Studies, School of Medicine
· Hengjin DONG, Professor, Associate Director of Department of Social Medicine, School of Public Health; Director of Center for Health Policy, School of Medicine
· Xiaoguang MA, Associate Professor, Secretary of Human Resource Committee, School of Public Health
Fudan University, School of Public Health
· Wen CHEN, Dean, Professor of Health Economics
· Yingyao CHEN, Associate Dean, Professor of Health Services
· Zhuohui ZHAO, Associate Professor of Environmental Health
· Yubin ZHANG, Associate Research Fellow of Occupational Health
· Min HU, Lecturer of Health Economics
For the most updated event information, please visit www.chpams.org, subscribe to the CHPAMS email list, or register as a member. CHPAMS welcomes other institutes to conduct recruitment talks at future Jump-start Your Career webinar series. Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date: June 15, 2015
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Date: June 13-14, 2015
Location: Chongqing, China
Lead organizers: The Chinese Economist Society (CES), Chongqing University
Date: June 15-18, 2015
Location: Hangzhou, China
Lead organizers: China Medical Board, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, and China Health Policy and Management Society
Spatial Health: Integrating Multi-level Data in China and the US
Monday, March 16, 2015
8:00 pm | Eastern Daylight Time (New York, GMT-04:00) | 1 hr
Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 8:00 am (Beijing Time)
Date: June 23, 2014
Location: Los Angeles, USARead More
Date: July, 2014
Location: Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou
Date: June 9, 2013
Location: Chengdu, China
Date: August 3-6, 2012
Location: Hangzhou, China
Date: April 10-12, 2011
Location: Emory University, Atlanta, USA